Monday, August 25, 2008

My review of Figma Mikuru Asahina

Mikuru Asahina in a character from light novel, and now anime, series, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." In this series, Haruhi forms the SOS Brigade, to stave off boredom. The purpose of that club is to search for aliens, espers, time travelers, and basically anything abnornal, because normal is completely beneath her.

Mikuru was dragged into the club completely against her will, because Haruhi felt that her cute face, large breasts, and luscious curves would make her a great mascot and a powerful marketing asset. Little did Haruhi know, Mikuru Asahina was in fact a time traveller sent from the future to investigate a temporal disturbance centered around Haruhi.

Figma Mikuru Asahina is the ninth release in the Figma line. Err, sixth, I typed it upside down. The Good Smile Company continues their long standing excellence in their action figures, as I will show in this picture review.


This picture practically shot itself.

The Figma releases come with these really nice bags to hold the figure and all of their stuff, which I think is awesome.




This figure seems to be born to be shy and timid, which is perfect to the character. When I was posing her for this shot, I noticed that her right leg is about a millimeter longer than her left. Has anyone else had this concern?




Mikuru comes with five sets of hands, (as opposed to four with Saber) two extra faces, and one extra pair of shoes. I kinda wish that she came with an extra hair that didn't look like it was so windy, but this one works fine.




She also pulls off the "sweet and innocent" really well. Again, that comes with the character.




Her elbows bend a little over 90 degrees, just a bit less than Saber's elbows. I kinda wish that they bent a little more so that she could clasp her hands to her chest better, but with the right photography, you can't really tell.




She also comes with a pair of cute shoes, that in the anime, she keeps in her locker and changes into when she gets to school. The first time I saw pics of this figure, I noticed the shoes, but I thought it was a production error. But I'm glad she comes with them, they're really cute!




Changing into her cute shoes is a simple as taking off her feet, and attaching these alternate ones. The Figma joints are all modular and standardized, which is great. I'm also going to take this time to say how thoroughly pleased I am with the work GSC put into Figma Mikuru Asahina. This pose is one that many of my figures, such as Revoltech, Transformers, or even Gundams would have troubles with, but the Figma figures pull off really well.




The five pairs of hands she comes with really add to the character of her poses.




Everything on this figure is pretty much perfect, but there are some things that could have made her more perfect. For instance, if she came with a hand and face for her "Mikuru Beam" that would have been more awesome than words can portray.

All in all, if you are a fan of the Haruhi series, (like me) get one. If you are a fan of Mikuru, (like me!) get one. If you are a fan of Figma, (like me) get one, or even if you are just a fan of some cute moe anime girl figures, (um, that's me too...) get one. This figure is great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aawww!! yay I'm thinking of getting this figma she's ssooo cute!! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Is the body of the figure the same as Figma Haruhi's?

Chaos Incarnate said...

No, it's not. The folks at GSC don't cut corners with their stuff.