Thursday, June 19, 2008

Breaking the silence...

I'm kind of a bad blogger. I haven't posted anything substantial in months and months. Well, I've decided that I really want to change that. About a year ago I was away from my computer for about 8 months, but that doesn't give me an excuse for the last four months. The truth is, I just fell out of the habit of blogging. Now I'm trying to fall back into the habit. I'm working on coming up with new material to put in here, and be better about posting news I like, and making reviews of sweet stuff. And heck, if enough people read this and ask, I'd be willing to post news you like too. I'm not completely heartless!

So, kicking it off again, I'm going to toss in some coverage of the Tokyo Toy Show 2008! All these images were shamelessly scalped from Fantofan, as their extensive watermarks attest.

So, this first image shows a few items of interest. First off, there is a rather large poster depicting Masterpiece Thundercracker. Thundercracker is one of the three 'fan favorite' seekers from the G1 Transformers show. I like the mold he's got (my buddy has a US release Masterpiece Starscream) but, I dunno, the blue just looks wrong on it somehow. Maybe if it were a little more muted. This release is a given after Takara came out with their MP Skywarp. BTW, that mold looks dead sexy in black! Hmmm, actually, TCracker comes with black forearms, if I recall. Maybe one could make an all-black stealth seeker!

EDIT: I just saw another pic (don't know why I didn't see this before) and he looks pretty darn good, actually.




Also in this image is shown the Japanese versions of the Marvel Crossovers figures. I can't tell if they are in Japanese packaging or if they will be getting the 'US Version' treatment.

Also shown is Encore Metroplex, and what kinda looks like Landmine on a stand, but is probably Thundercracker.


In this next shot, we have the Japanese issue Classics, known as Henkei. Shown standing, from left right, are Ironhide, Bluestreak, Prowl, Sunstreaker, Silverbolt, and the very nice red Powerglide. In vehicle form, is a prototype, Ironhide, Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Prowl, Sunstreaker, Silverbolt, and pretty red Powerglide. As the shot is blurry, oh, and I don't read Japanese, I have no idea what the gray prototype is. If I had to speculate, I would say it's a Ratchet. Oh, and my buddy would probably insist that I point out that Silverbolt is white, instead of off-white like the US release. I add in that I don't care for that character or mold anyhow.


This shot is another angle of the same display, showing Prime, Octane, um, his name escapes me, Galvatron, and Megatron. If I had to pick, I'd get Megatron from that group. Oh yes, and you can see gorgeous red Powerglide below.


This surprised me! It looks like a new Binaltech mold, but I'm not sure if it really is. It certainly has a complex enough transformation, and you can see the internals through the front windshield. The front seats are on his arms, and the back seats are on his feet, so he doesn't have BT Streak syndrome. It looks great, honestly!


Here's what could be considered a catch. Here a early prototype is shown posed with Movie Concept Bumblebee, a deluxe class figure. This guy is not Binaltech sized. Also, the line seems to be called Transformers Alternity. This could be a play on the name of the US Alternators. All in all, this points to a smaller figure with no die cast. Some people will hate this, I'm sure, but I couldn't be happier. I love smaller figures with high complexity, and die cast is a thing of the past, expensive, heavy, and makes the figure hard to pose. Bring on the Alternity!

Anyhow, enough about Transformers.




Here is Bandai's 1/60th scale VF-25 from the latest series, Macross Frontier. I am really happy that Bandai is doing the valkyrie instead of Yamato, because Yamato is just overpriced. Great stuff, but pricey. Bandai on the other hand, makes things like that Aquarion there, which is bigger, more parts, more complex, more 'expensive diecast', less Quality Control issues, and cheaper to boot. Go Bandai!


This is displaying some of the Gundam merchandise at the show. Looks like the Metal Composite GFF Psycho Gundam and Gundam Ver Ka. Also looks like the Kahen Senshi Zeta Gundam, it may be being rereleased. Also, there seems to be an action figure, probably ExMSiA, maybe MSiA Ver. 2.0, of the G3 Gundam.


Here is the last shot of this post. This picture shows the upcoming Metal Composite GFF Psycho Gundam Mk-II, and it's box, and a gray prototype of it in Mobile Armor mode. It also shows a painted, probably production version, of the upcoming GFF NT-1 Alex, which is an awesome Gundam. I don't know what it's alternate mode will be, or if it will have one, but you can see most of a gray proto with the Chobham armor attached.

And thus concludes this post, but not the report, as I've got more news that I will post after I let my fingers rest.

No comments: